Smoky Hollow Specific Plan 2018 (web version)
1.6 Transformative Projects
Transformative projects are intended to embody the creative ideas and further support the Specific Plan’s vision for Smoky Hollow. These projects catalyze future change while addressing some of the key issues and opportunities in Smoky Hollow.
- Undertake a comprehensive approach to parking and mobility. The Specific Plan identifies short- and long-term actions, including using existing rights-of-way to increase the parking supply. In the longer term, the potential formation of a parking district and transportation demand management practices will be critical.
- Establish Franklin Avenue as the functional, aesthetic, and social backbone of the plan area. Implement projects that create a shared social space among drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians, and make the street welcoming and appealing with a focus on landscaping, signs, and street furniture.
- Facilitate development of creative office and flexible/research and development space and intensification of these desirable uses on appropriate sites. Demand is growing for these uses in the area as the regional economy shifts toward increasing shares of professional services firms and creative businesses, which often prefer unique spaces and vibrant, eclectic locations such as Smoky Hollow and El Segundo.
- Leverage the many positive attributes of the area such as the artistic industrial vibe and the relaxed beach community feel. The vision for Smoky Hollow will be communicated most effectively by drawing people to the district by providing interesting destinations.
- Take the next steps in bringing a complete fiber optic network to Smoky Hollow. Providing adequate infrastructure supports the flow and processing of information and maintains the desirability of the area to creative and technology-based businesses.
Smoky Hollow with the Chevron refinery in the background